[ietf-dkim] Collecting statistics

2010-03-25 16:59:30
I've got as a task for the next major OpenDKIM release a reworking of our
statistics collection component.  This is something that's off by default; one
must specifically enable it both at compile time and at run time.

What I'm considering is a change to the code so that it collects a larger set
of interesting things instead of just pass/fail counts, which canonicalizations
are in use, what signing algorithm is in use, whether or not "l=" is in use,
and the date/time a domain was last seen.  Some of the data I'm looking at
collecting include:

-          On failure, whether or not the "bh" matched (so you can tell whether
it was a body change or a header change that broke it)

-          On failure, if "z=" was present, record the name of the header(s)
that were changed

-          Use of g=, t= in keys

-          Use of x=, t=, z=, l= in signatures

-          If l= was used, how often extra data was present

-          Count of times t= was used and contained a future timestamp

-          Count of retrieved key records that contained a syntax error

-          Count of signatures referencing nonexistent keys

-          ADSP statistics

-          Count of third-party signatures

-          Count of messages containing multiple signatures

For those of you thinking about statistics regarding DKIM, have I missed any
that might be useful to the working group?