[ietf-dkim] Why mailing lists should strip DKIM signatures

2010-04-23 00:37:49
For anyone who's working on the list management BCP:

I sign all my outgoing mail, and I have a feedback loop set up with
Yahoo, which being very modern and advanced keys on signatures, not IP
addresses.  A few days ago I sent some messages to one of the Freebsd
mailing lists.  Today some Yahoo user who subscribes to that list hit
the spam button.  Freebsd's list software (Mailman, I think) doesn't
sign, and doesn't strip any headers.  So what happened?  Yahoo saw my
signature and sent the reports to me, which was of course useless
since I don't run the list.

This is not a hypothetical problem--all of my recent Yahoo FBL reports
have been for mail I sent to mailing lists elsewhere.  The lists I do
run sign their mail, and FBL reports for those lists are handled
reasonably. My scripts do what they can with this stuff, but sending
unsub commands to majordomo(_at_)freebsd(_dot_)org doesn't work.

R's,
John