Re: [ietf-dkim] list vs contributor signatures, was Wrong Discussion

2010-05-27 23:09:15

On May 27, 2010, at 7:39 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

"Brett McDowell" <brett(_dot_)mcdowell(_at_)me(_dot_)com> wrote:
As a newbie to this list, I have to say I agree.  This has been a far less
collegial debate than what I'm used to.  That said, I may be guilty of
reciprocating, and if anyone feels they have been on the receiving end of
such, I apologize.

I think your only offense is presenting a perspective based on operational
experience that varies from the preconceived notions of a substantial
fraction of the participants of this working group.

There has been considerable resistance to doing any standardized policy work
relative to DKIM.  It's unfortunate that this resulted in policy having to be
bolted on to DKIM after it was designed because we were prohibited from doing
policy work as a part of DKIM development.

As far as I can see, the only problem with ADSP and your discussion of it is
that ADSP is guilty of doing exactly what it was designed to do with exactly
the limitations we said it would have when we designed it.  The same people
that didn't like it then, don't like it now.

That's because it was broken then, and it's still broken now. :)

This explanation of why I think it's broken, and what might be done to fix it,
is fairly terse, though, so please don't grab onto a single phrase and shake
that phrase to death like a terrier with a rat. Really, it's worth reading all
the way through.

There are, I think, two problems that are intrinsic to the use of ADSP in the
context of mitigating phishing email.

One underlying problem is that ADSP is based on the inverse of an intentionally
unreliable positive assertion (DKIM). That maps the non-problem of a mail with
a broken DKIM signature being treated as unsigned to the serious problem (72%
false positive rate) of mail with a broken signature being discarded.

The only reason that DKIM is intentionally unreliable is that it's primary
design constraint was that it would be something that could be added by a
smarthost, without the sending MUA needing to be aware of it, and received by
an MX and delivered to a receiving MUA without either needing to be aware of it.

If ADSP were based on a reliable signing algorithm (such as S/MIME) then my
objections to it based on the fragility of DKIM would go away (fundamentally,
that it doesn't work reliably and causes legitimate email to be lost). Given
it's primary value is when applied to B2C bulk mail, the constraints that apply
to DKIM signing wouldn't apply and pretty much every MUA renders S/MIME.

While I believe that would be a much smarter direction to go in, we've chosen
not to. As ADSP is based on DKIM, and DKIM is always going to have a
significant level of broken signatures, ADSP is always going to have a
significant false positive rate - making it unusable for mail that it's
important be delivered.

All we can do is mitigate in an attempt to reduce that false positive rate. I'm
sure we can come up with something that'll bring it down to single digit
percentages of legitimate mail lost, or even to less than 1%, at least in some
cases with very limited use of email (bulk mailer smarthost directly to major
ISP MX, for instance). And there are situations where the mail that's being
sent is sufficiently worthless or redundant that losing one mail in every few
hundred might be acceptable.

The other underlying problem, as applied to phishing email, is that ADSP will
currently, if implemented perfectly by all senders and all receivers, reduce
the volume of phishing mail delivered to the inbox by less than 50%, and that
reduction is likely to decrease rapidly. Given the volume of phishing mail
sent, and the volume of it that's already blocked much more reliably by
existing filters, that means it is likely to have minimal effect on the number
of phishing emails delivered to the recipients inbox.

So the suggested use model is one where the security of the mail is so critical
that it's worth going to this much effort in order to discard <50% of phish
messages, yet it isn't critical enough that losing one in every few hundred
legitimate messages isn't a problem. This doesn't seem like a use case most
informed security or bulk email experts would consider interesting. If that's
the low bar we're aiming for, then we're fine, but it would be dishonest not to
document the limitations in a way that's clear to even a casual reader.

OTOH, if that isn't acceptable then we need to change things. We cannot fix the
second issue, ineffectiveness against phishing mail, both intrinsically and
because the chairs have ruled that it's not a valid topic for discussion. So
all we can do is improve the first issue - high levels of false positives
leading to legitimate email being rejected. There are a few different places we
could look at doing that, and some of the questions we need to ask are:

  1. Do we want to reduce the DKIM broken signature rate or do we want to make
ADSP less vulnerable to it. Or both, I guess.

  2. If we want to reduce the DKIM broken signature rate, do we need to rework
DKIM at all, or do we need to make operational recommendations to the generator
and signer of the mail, or do we need to provide operational advice to
forwarders and mailing list managers. For any of those we need to balance the
improvement against the reduction in deployment and reduction in correct
deployment the increased complexity will cause. The history of SPF-all and SRS
is likely relevant there.

  3. If we want to make ADSP less vulnerable to it, this basically means
reworking ADSP such that it says that receivers should accept unsigned mail in
some cases - the various suggestions about accepting unsigned mail from
"trusted" mailing lists or forwarders. This is bound to open up a bunch of
theoretical security issues, and probably some real ones.

  3a.  If we go in that direction we're looking at making some fairly tricky
security related decisions. We'd need a proper analysis of the security risks
and operational benefits, which would require us to be more honest than we have
been in the past about what the end goals are, and how some of the more obvious
attack trees would affect those goals.

Any of those changes - i.e. doing anything other than accepting the seriously
broken behaviour and just documenting it - would require buy-in from the chairs
and other participants, and likely a charter clarification.

Cheers,
  Steve