Re: [ietf-dkim] list vs contributor signatures, was Wrong Discussion

2010-05-10 14:03:19

On 5/7/2010 10:07 AM, John R. Levine wrote:
No, all it says is "we signed this mail."  A signer with a good reputation
will presumably rarely sign mail where the From: address actively
misidentifies the sender, but that's a second order effect.

"misidentifies" covers quite a lot.

If I send mail from bbiw.net (well, actually, sbh17.songbird.com is my standard
MSA) but label the From: field as being gmail.com, that's reasonable to
classify
as "misidentifying" the From: address, since songbird has nothing to do with
gmail.

Operator-based signing is typically meaning that the message was posted by an
authorized user.  There's absolutely no implication that the operator checked
or
enforced the contents of the From: field.

So, the "second order" effect you cite is probably much more indirect than that
(third, fourth or fifth-order effect) and much narrower (abusive mislabeling,
or
somesuch).

d/
--