Re: [ietf-dkim] New Version Notification for draft-levine-dbr-00 (fwd)

2010-06-22 13:10:47
On Jun 22, 2010, at 11:28 AM, Michael Thomas wrote:

On 06/22/2010 09:46 AM, J.D. Falk wrote:
On Jun 21, 2010, at 1:00 PM, John R. Levine wrote:

As threatened, here's an I-D that says how one would publish a list of
domains for which it makes sense to discard unsigned mail.

Looks like a good start, and almost shockingly simple.  Any MTA/MFA support
yet?  *grin*

I still don't get why it's ok for John Levine to publish a list which
says that it's ok to discard unsigned mail from paypal.com, but st00pid
for paypal.com to publish the same thing. That is the essence of his
jihad against adsp.

Because presumably verifiers will trust John's process for compiling this list
more than they'd trust any random schmoe with the ability to create TXT records.

(If paypal were representative of all domains, this wouldn't be a concern.)

Personally, I think we'll need lists like this for a while in order to gain
more experience and determine best practices, and THEN we can decide whether to
change (or even scrap) ADSP to reflect those practices.

--
J.D. Falk <jdfalk(_at_)returnpath(_dot_)net>
Return Path Inc