Re: [ietf-dkim] Case for ADSP "dkim=except-mlist"

2010-06-25 19:40:06
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010, Dave Crocker wrote:
On 10/16/2009 3:33 PM, Michael Deutschmann wrote:
I'd like to more emphatically state the case for adding a
"dkim=except-mlist" policy to ADSP.  It will soon become a practical
issue for me, since my mailserver software (Exim) is going to support
DKIM in its next version.

Simple question:  why?
That's quite an old message you are responding to.

I do not expect any selfish benefit to publishing DKIM/ADSP, even were the
mailing list problem completely solved.  Someone mentally lazy enough to be
tricked in the absence of DKIM would probably be fooled by a sender using
the expected full name in combination with an e-mail address he controls.

But I'm not entirely selfish -- I would consider publishing merely to help
my fellow hacker with his spam control.  The point is not to protect him
from being *tricked*, but to help him filter out noise at his computer
before it reaches his brain.  For this purpose a low FP rate is essential.

Because of the confusion over what "all" and "discardable" actually mean,
when choosing an assertion I must consider the worst case for FPs -- that
the recipient thinks both mean "everything unsigned is *definitely* a
forgery and thus noise."

In turn, the only policy I can publish is "unknown", which provides no help.
In order to publish a stronger policy, I would need to abstain from mailing
lists and Usenet (because some newsgroups are gatewayed to mail).  Sorry,
but my charity doesn't extend that far.

But I could publish "except-mlist" right now.  And it happens that should
another site publish "except-mlist", that would be as helpful to my spam
defense as if they published "discardable".

I could reject incoming messages with missing/broken signatures when the
assertion is correctly except-mlist, and be guaranteed no *additional* false
positives.  The only way this test could false-trigger is if I forget to
whitelist a mailing list, and if that happened every message from the list
would already be doomed by my anti-Bcc: filter.

---- Michael Deutschmann <michael(_at_)talamasca(_dot_)ocis(_dot_)net>