[ietf-dkim] List of Verifiers Methods

2010-08-28 00:47:28
Is there a list, and if not, can we together gather a list of verifier
methods in practice?   It think it will help provide "a reason" for
greater understanding how DKIM can be useful and maybe help better
market DKIM and  existing methods, and/or even create synergism for
creating more uniform methods.

Off hand I see two classifications, where the top level is:

   o AUTHOR-PRACTICE
   o SENDER-PRACTICE
   o RECEIVER-PRACTICE

and under each one you have a secondary classification describing
specific verifier or validation methods.

Some of these classification would be common to all. For example

   DKIM-ADSP

falls under AUTHOR-PRACTICE but also technically falls under
SENDER-PRACTICE and RECEIVER-PRACTICE as well.  I can see a table or
outline such as the following

   o AUTHOR-PRACTICE
       - DKIM-ADSP
   o SENDER-PRACTICE
       - DKIM-ADSP
   o RECEIVER-PRACTICE
       - DKIM-ADSP

I think it would be helpful if we can collect verifier DKIM signature
validation methods in practice or even new ideas for verifiers.

Based on what gather over the course of many years participating in
the WG, I see as verifier methods available and/or discussed:

   DKIM-ADSP      Author Domain Signing Practice - IETF WG proposal
   DKIM-TPA       3rd party Authorization - Doug Otis's IETF I-D
   DKIM-SSA       Special Signing Arrangements (YAHOO)
   DKIM-STATS     Bayesian, Neural Net, AI or similar (SpamAssassin)
   DKIM-SPF       DKIM plus SPF "combo" logic?
   DKIM-REP       Reputation services (?)

And any other people know of. I guess that includes also:

   DKIM-VBR       Levine's Vouch-By-Reference

but that might fall under DKIM-REP.  Maybe DKIM-REP is too general and
this level of classification needs to show specific verifier methods,
but I have no problem if these include available vendor proprietary
DKIM-REP services.

Anyway, I am just suggesting this and others with more exposure to
this can perhaps lock these down better than I could. I think it will
help more developers to implement DKIM with more verifier ideas.  I
see many MTA that added DKIM-CORE signing only but no substance on the
DKIM verifier said.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com