Re: [ietf-dkim] Key rotation

2010-09-09 13:39:24
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org [mailto:ietf-dkim-
bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Mark Martinec
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2010 9:57 AM
To: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Key rotation

Mark Delany wrote:
I believe the general thrust is that DKIM keys are ephemeral
so no one should rely on there long-term presence. [...]

With each key there is an associated selector:domain pair,
so with a key rotation comes the change of a selector.
Such a purpose of a selector is clearly documented in the
DKIM rfc.

Rumor has is that some large players (such as Yahoo!) are
disregarding such ephemeral property of a selector and
are trying to associate a reputation scheme based on both
the domain *and* the selector. If such approach catches up,
it would mean the end of a free choice of domains to roll up
new signing keys periodically.

Are my worries warranted? Is there anything than can be
done about it to prevent such practice?

It's not the first time I've heard that presented as a reputation idea.  Off
the top of my head, I think the solution to that would probably be the
realization by such verifiers that they're needlessly throttling good domains
using such a scheme, causing them more headaches than they solve.