Re: [ietf-dkim] FW: An issue with DKIM reporting extensions

2010-10-13 10:50:29
  On 10/13/10 3:29 PM, John Levine wrote:
-          In order to make use of ADSP, Y needs to change which MTA it's
using.  This is almost certainly an expensive effort.

-          Y simply can't use ADSP.

-          The DKIM reporting extensions should have a flag that says DSNs
should not cause generation of fraud reports.
I'll take "none of the above", Alex.

Murray brought this up.

I've seen a enough spam masquerading as DSNs that I really wouldn't
want to give DSNs a free pass.  I also think that history has not been
kind to people who made permanent changes to standards to work around
temporary software limitations.  If the MTA can't sign its DSNs, that's
a bug, no matter how popular it is.

 From the ADSP all/discardable point of view this is a bug. Not signing
a message or DSN in itself is not a bug, of course ;-) Although we all
hope that there will be one day that signing with DKIM is the de facto
(or should we say de jure) standard and not signing with DKIM becomes a
functional defect.

   (Come to think of it, my MTA has
the same issue, although since I will never publish dkim=all, it's
not functionally a bug.)

If people are serious about signing all their mail, they should sign
all their mail.

+1

We have seen ADSP can cause issues with MLMs. Now we see that it can
cause problems with DSNs (and feedback reports, see below) as well. This
is input to item 3. of the current charter.

Maybe they'll switch MTAs, maybe their popular MTA
will eventually fix the DSN signing bug, and then they can publish
dkim=all.

Talking about fraud reports, let's not forget that these fraud reports
need to be signed with DKIM by every domain, that is publishing an ADSP
all or discardable policy. Of course DSN's and fraud reports etc. could
be signed with a specific subdomain (e.g. notifications.example.com) or
a special selector (e.g. s=notifications), to identify the different
nature of this mail stream?

/rolf