Re: [ietf-dkim] Policy interop data

2010-10-13 13:21:59
Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
One of the OpenDKIM data collectors also sent me some data about DKIM-related
DNS queries he saw in one day of traffic. It's not appropriate to add to the
interop report since it's policy-specific and not specific to DKIM base, but
I thought it might be interesting to share here.

One day of traffic included 7150 policy queries of some kind.  Of those:

2513 (35.1%) were for _adsp._domainkey.* (RFC)
2 (~0.04%) were for _asp._domainkey.* (mid-WG)
39 (0.55%) were for _ssp._domainkey.* (early WG)
538 (7.5%) were for _policy._domainkey.* (Allman, I think)
4057 (56.7%) were for _domainkey.* (pre-WG)

There's apparently still a huge installed base of DKIM verifiers that are
checking the pre-WG policy stuff either instead of or in addition to ADSP
records.  And, amazingly, there are still a few implementations running that
use various pre-RFC versions of what the WG was doing.

This was indicated before and no one should be surprise as the APIs
support policy since day one.

I still have old policy records that were not removed.

NOTE: This is also true for SPF and pre-SPF stuff too.  In fact, you
will still find the hotmail CEP (MS's original Caller ID alternative
to SPF) with its XML-based TXT record.

Keep in mind that many people were eager and ready to get going with
DKIM + SSP back in 2006 with the stable APIs supporting both.   But
when ADSP confused things, many put things on hold until things were
stable again.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com