Re: [ietf-dkim] Data integrity claims

2010-10-18 15:28:12
FWIW, the telnet mail interface typo fix should be:

       telnet bbs.winserver.com

--
HLS

Hector Santos wrote:

I'm a MUA author of BOTH types and people forget that there are TWO
kinds here.  We have:

    Console based Mail Reader/Writers Online Interface (Dialup/Telnet)

         telnet bbs.wisnerver.com
         or
         305-248-7815

    A Frontend Native GUI ONLINE Interface

         http://www.winserver.com/public/wcnavigator.wct

    A Frontend Web-based ONLINE Interface

         http://www.winserver.com  (you have to log in)

    Two QWK, RFC 822/2822/5322 Offline Mail Reader/Writers:

         http://www.santronics.com/products/olx/index.php
         http://www.santronics.com/products/sxpress/index.php

    Two Administrator Report Reader/Writer Online Interfaces

         http://www.santronics.com/products/pxpress/index.php

    A Outlook Exchange Component

         http://www.santronics.com/products/winserver/Exchange.php

And very important

     NNTP (News) and POP3 (Email) Mail Servers to support ALL RFC
     based Store and forward offline mail reader/writers.

All MUAs, including are feed by the backend.  It is the BACKEND that
feeds the children what it will eat (see).   We can ALTER and DO
whatever we please to give whatever the ILLUSION we want the MUA to see.

This issue is a BACKEND issue whether we want to deal with it at a:

    MSA    Authenticated Submission (For Local or Remote User/Relay)
    MDA    Non-Authenticated Submission to LOCAL USER ONLY

or at some DKIM integrated component.

To assume that this is should be PUSHED first to MUAs is BAD
engineering and NAIVE.

But that doesn't mean they don't have to look for it just in case an
3rd party interface software (like an RFC-based mail/writer) whats to
make sure that all backends are correct.

So as I said in an earlier post, technically, all parts need to deal
with this but more so the DKIM API because this is part of their
"Reason For Living" in the first place - mail integrity.

Its like a Neighborhood Watch Program vs Real Cops.  Everyone will
need to deal with it.  But the BACKEND is the #1 place to deal with
this especially for systems that only have Online Interface devices
and/or Legacy Online or Offline mail readers who require (and don't
even think about it) that the backend "mommy" give them clean food to
eat - not poison, dirty food.