Re: [ietf-dkim] Getting resolution on the "double header" issue

2010-11-08 19:12:26
On Nov 8, 2010, at 1:20 AM, Barry Leiba wrote:

2. The DKIM spec should probably say that signers need to sign valid
messages, and, therefore, SHOULD NOT sign things like this.  Text
along the line of this might work well:
"Signers SHOULD take reasonable steps to ensure
that the messages they're signing are valid according to [RFC 5322,
etc]."  Leaving the definition of "reasonable" out allows flexibility.  It
may be waffly, but I like the approach in this case.

+1

3. It'd be reasonable for the DKIM spec to remind verifiers that
signers aren't supposed to sign stuff like this, so they might
consider that when deciding what to do with it after verification.
It'd be reasonable to remind them of this particular case.  But
I think that all ought to be informative text.

Seems unnecessary per #2 above, but I don't care all that much either way.

4. We should agree to this or some variant of it, and then move on.
This is not meant to satisfy everyone.  In fact, it isn't what I'd prefer,
if I had my full choice.  But it takes care of the problem in a way
that I think is sufficient, and allows us to resolve the issue.

+1