Re: [ietf-dkim] Full name problem

2011-03-01 19:37:44
There are two uses for a protocol similar to DKIM/ADSP.

#1: it can be used as one of many general mailbox decluttering weapons,
reducing the amount of "bad mail" of various sorts that the end recipient
has to sort through with his own eyes.

#2: it can be used to stop phishes from being successful, by preventing
gullible users from even seeing them.

I fear the wishful thinking problem has arisen here.  DKIM simply allows
someone in the mail path to attach a domain identity to a message.  It
doesn't reduce "bad mail", or does it stop phishes.  As I noted before
it's only useful insofar as you can use the signing domain identity to
sort the messages.

In the near term, its most likely utility is to whitelist mail from
signers you trust, either ones you know directly, or ones published by a
credible third party via VBR.

The immediate responses I'm getting in this thread suggest the intended
mission of DKIM is #1.

Nope.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",