Re: [ietf-dkim] Work group future

2011-03-28 18:04:23
Hi,

On 3/28/11 3:34 PM, Barry Leiba wrote:
As you'll see from the minutes (available at
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/80/materials.html ), consensus in
the room and among remote participants at the IETF 80 DKIM session was
to close the working group after the 4871bis and mailng-lists
documents have been finished.  From the minutes:

--------------------------
4. Discussion of the future of the working group

Two charter items not yet done:
    3. Collect data on the deployment, interoperability, and
       effectiveness of the Author Domain Signing Practices protocol
       (RFC 5617), and determine if/when it's ready to advance on the
       standards track. Update it at Proposed Standard, advance it to
       Draft Standard, deprecate it, or determine another disposition,
       as appropriate.
    4. Taking into account the data collected in (2) and (3), update
       the overview and deployment/operations documents. These are
       considered living documents, and should be updated periodically,
       as we have more real-world experience.

- Is there energy and desire to do this?
- Should we recharter instead for different work?
- Should we close the working group?

Consensus in room and jabber is to close.  Will confirm on the mailing list.

I seem to remember that there was neither consensus for close, nor for continue. But I was a remote participant, so I may have it wrong. I wonder whether there should be a followup on the figures, presented by Murray in the implementation report. Excellent work (thanks Murray), but are we satisfied with the outcome? Is 93% successful verification OK? Is it good, is it good enough, is it bad? What if SMTP had been designed in such a way, that in 93% of all cases messages were delivered with contents unchanged, but in 7% of all cases message content was lost or malformed? Would it have been a success?

What are these 7% DKIM signature verification failures, are these:

   * spammers?
   * MTA's violating the rules?
   * MTA's fixing stuff, that did not comply with the standards?
   * other?

Furthermore, I'm not sure whether the DKIM WG has concluded on thinking about the value of DKIM, what it can be used for. Is it's purpose limited to providing input to a reputation engine? Is that it? Or is there more than that?

Anyway, these things will not fit into the current charter...

/rolf