[ietf-dkim] Work group future

2011-03-28 08:37:39
As you'll see from the minutes (available at
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/80/materials.html ), consensus in
the room and among remote participants at the IETF 80 DKIM session was
to close the working group after the 4871bis and mailng-lists
documents have been finished.  From the minutes:

--------------------------
4. Discussion of the future of the working group

Two charter items not yet done:
   3. Collect data on the deployment, interoperability, and
      effectiveness of the Author Domain Signing Practices protocol
      (RFC 5617), and determine if/when it's ready to advance on the
      standards track. Update it at Proposed Standard, advance it to
      Draft Standard, deprecate it, or determine another disposition,
      as appropriate.
   4. Taking into account the data collected in (2) and (3), update
      the overview and deployment/operations documents. These are
      considered living documents, and should be updated periodically,
      as we have more real-world experience.

- Is there energy and desire to do this?
- Should we recharter instead for different work?
- Should we close the working group?

Consensus in room and jabber is to close.  Will confirm on the mailing list.
Tony noted that there are changes to deployment/overview docs because of
removal of "g=", along with other minor changes.  We can handle those before
the WG closes, or Stephen (as AD) will sponsor that as an individual submission.

We need to hear (or read) any objection or discussion here.  The
schedule currently is to have the documents ready for working group
last call by 10 April, which means that we should be able to get them
to the IESG by the end of April, if they are, indeed, ready.  The
sense at the meeting was that after five years, the working group has
finished its productive work.

Are there objections to this?  Does anyone want to convince us that
there's interest and energy to keep it open and do more work?

Barry, as chair