[ietf-dkim] Body Length Tag "l=" - is really really bad!!!!

2011-05-14 23:28:01
Oh wow!  This is nuts!  With all the issues with l=, I saw it mostly
with spammers, or some eMarketing source.  But I would never expected
a major US bank to use the Body Length Tag especially when they don't
really need to.

Summary Problem:

      Domains sending DKIM signed DSN with the Body Length Tag (l=) set.

This happen with a major US bank when a bad guy sent a spoofed message
using an unknown user bank email address to our list server and the
MLM issued a non-membership notification.  When the bank got the
notification to the unknown user which it first accepted at the SMTP
level, it then created a non-delivery DKIM signed DSN with the "l-"
tag set.

So whats gan we learn from this?

  1) It appears to me the signers or its software is mis-interpreted the
     specification and are blindly setting the "l=" tag for all its mail,
     including needlessly with a DSN.

  2) I looked in RFC4671bis and see no guidance regarding signing
     bounce mail, but it MUST NOT be done with "l=" tag set.

  3) MLM should be using a NULL return path for its notifications.
Not all
     MLM do this when it comes to list notifications. A List
non-membership
     notification should be viewed as a SMTP 550 no local user account
rejection.

Comments?

--
Hector Santos, CTO