Re: [ietf-dkim] 8bit downgrades

2011-05-19 21:14:03
On 5/19/11 6:09 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:
We send things that get forwarded through all kinds of manglers,
8bit manglers just being one variety. In the abstract, you can never know
as a signer that a path is "clean"... it can always be forwarded. So by your
argument it should be a MUST since you can never know.

(I'll assume here that you're using a loose definition for "forwarded"
and are really talking about either relaying or resending. Forwarding in
the usual sense is not something that DKIM *should* survive.)

I absolutely agree that most of the world is an environment where you
can't know end to end and therefore *most* implementations MUST
downgrade. However, there can be environments, normally by out-of-band
agreement, that are 8-bit clean end to end. There, it is perfectly
reasonable not to downgrade.

But that creates
the silly-state of DKIM wagging the 8bit SMTP tail, which is a wrong
outcome.

I'm not sure what you mean here. What is the "right" outcome?

pr

Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102