Re: [ietf-dkim] 8bit downgrades

2011-05-19 14:05:38
On 05/19/2011 10:50 AM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

Can anyone remember why there’s a SHOULD for the downgrade to 7-bit in
RFC4871 Section 5.3, rather than a MUST? The likelihood of breakage is
so high when sending 8-bit data that DKIM almost becomes pointless
without the upgrade.

Not advocating for this to be changed in –bis (yet), but someone’s
asking me for the history behind that decision.

I don't remember the original rationale, but it would be bizarre for
DKIM to hem in any future SMTP improvements/standards regarding 8 bit.

Mike