Re: [ietf-dkim] New canonicalizations

2011-05-25 01:24:23
-----Original Message-----
From: Dave CROCKER [mailto:dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:33 PM
To: Murray S. Kucherawy
Cc: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] New canonicalizations

Let's make it be the right work.

To make a canonicalization algorithm that is more robust -- such as having it
based on canonical forms of data, independent of encoding -- makes some sense.
Trying to create the ability to "reverse" changes strikes me as far to complex
and fragile to be reasonable.

I think your last sentence is what I was getting at.

One could have a 7-bit canonicalization that does the same sort of thing MIME
does, I suppose, at least in terms of content conversion.  Not having given it
much thought yet, though, I suspect doing this at the MIME level is more likely
to be successful rather than at the message level, which is where DKIM lives.

I could swear I heard that idea presented recently...