Re: [ietf-dkim] versions of RFC822 mail messages, Where is the formal definition of DKIM-Signature?

2018-02-10 12:00:31
MIME was in significant use quite a bit before ESMTP was operational. In fact it's a non-trivial feature that MIME only requires adoption by author and recipient and not by /any/ of the infrastructure. IE, not by SMTP.

Yes, I know, but I wish you'd read what I've said about 8BITMIME. It's an overlay that makes an INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE TO THE MESSAGE FORMAT, which is a version change in any world I know.

Ditto EAI.

The SMTP extensions to support MIME characteristics are value-added, beyond the basic MIME capability. In other words, they aren't necessary.

Well, sure, neither is DKIM, you could authenticate your mail some other way. I don't understand what point you're making here.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
Dummies",