ietf-dkim

Re: [ietf-dkim] versions of RFC822 mail messages, Where is the formal definition of DKIM-Signature?

2018-02-10 12:49:15
On 02/10/2018 10:22 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:
On 2/10/2018 10:12 AM, Michael Thomas wrote:
DKIM-Signature-v2: vs DKIM-Signature: v=2;

Angels, meet the pinhead.

equal semantics does not mean equal implementation. the processing for each of these takes place in very different parts of the system. the latter requires new code, albeit internal to the DKIM module. the former merely requires a new table entry.

I don't know when the last time you've written a line of code (my last time was about 5 minutes ago), but this is just silly. It makes not a particle of difference code-wise, but it would require reconfiguration of the mailer configurations for a new header. I'll take that back, code-wise. My assumption is that the actual header is passed into the DKIM library. If that's not true, it would be more work vs. v=2. But I still think this entire conversation is silly in its theoreticality.

Mike