RE: one more time: agreeing on the basic goal of MASS

2004-11-22 15:47:22

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:33:17 -0700, Robert Barclay wrote:
  say that my goal for this service is to provide a mechanism for the
  domain of a message author to provide an assertion that they authorized
  the sending of a specific message.

this sounds good to me.  would others care to comment?

it occurs to me that the precise meaning of your statement might actually go
farther than we want, since it implies per-message assessment by the domain
owner.

perhaps a bit of tuning?

something like "the domain of the message author has authorized the message
author to send messages under the domain"?

it doesn't flow trippingly off the digits, but it's probably closer to reality.

  There are also some other goals that I think make this different than
  PGP or S/MIME. For example I think it is a goal of this system to avoid
  impacting the MUA display while for S/MIME and PGP the goal is
  specifically to display the authentication to MUA's.

there seems to be consensus for mass requiring no MUA changes.  i've never been
aware of an mua related 'design goal' for pgp or s/mime.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking