Re: Web pages for MASS effort

2004-12-06 08:13:39

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 01:21 -0800, Dan Wing wrote:
Yes, and I expect the new message can be as tracable to the original
poster as the message the poster sent to the mailing list.  Even in the
case of someone with a mail user agent that adds remail-* headers, I
expect I should still be able to authenticate the message (*).

((*) provided it's within 4 or so days of its original transmission, as
I don't expect MASS to want to handle time beyond typical SMTP retry
limits.)

Mail often does get resent using Resent-* headers after much longer than
the 4 days you cite. I often resend old mail to people when they've
failed to respond to it the first time, or just if I happen to know
they're not reading that particular list very closely and I want to make
sure they get a copy of the mail in their inbox instead of just the list
folder. I often receive mail in such circumstances too.

We mustn't reject resent mail in such circumstances just due to its age;
not if there's a Resent-Date: header which is more recent.

--
dwmw2