Internet architecture, roles and responsibilities

2004-12-09 12:27:52

Folks,

Internet mail has suffered a few decades of imprecise references.  We've
labored with an architecture that was too coarse and terminology that was too
vague.  We are now reaping the benefits of our sloth.

Some months ago, I endeavored to help remedy that with a draft that documents
modern Internet mail architecture, roles and responsibilities.  It's gotten
reasonable review and revision, from the Internet mail technical community, and
is close to being ready for submission as a BCP (or whatever.)

From what I can tell, not a whole lot of anti-spam participants have read the
document, and certainly not a whole lot of us are using it.  This leads to an
impressive amount of unproductive debate thrashing.

The document is a regular Internet draft, but a pretty web version is at:

<http://brandenburg.com/specifications/draft-crocker-mail-arch-01.html>

Before folks asks questions or assert facts about Internet mail architecture,
roles or responsibilities, it would help greatly to do this in the context of
that document.

If the document is in error, then that needs to be pointed out so it can be
fixed.  More often, what seems to be happening is spontaneous invention or
blank-sheet questioning.  Whether the historical reference to that phenomenon
is Tower of Babble or Through the Looking Glass is a matter for a bar bof.
Either way, it defeats group progress.

d/
--
Dave Crocker