Re: Web pages for MASS effort

2004-12-06 17:01:22
On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 13:26, Jim Fenton wrote:
Dave Crocker wrote:
We should make the goal of mass to be validation by a receive-side filter.
Any dependency or expectation of displays to the user -- never mind concern
for having the user somehow decide whether the message is valid or not
-- should be entirely beyond the scope of this effort.
Yes the base standards should not address validity or semantics of what
being singed might imply. You need more mechanism to even begin to
address those concerns. They are also much more immature.

Here's the attack I'm concerned about:  Suppose someone generated a
phishing attack supposedly from Example Bank,
security(_at_)example(_dot_)com(_dot_)
Ok so the phishers use security(_at_)example-bank(_dot_)com instead. A lot of
people would be caught off guard by that.

If the recipient gets the
message and just sees that it is signed, the message signature may
actually be helping the attacker by making the message look more real.
If the answer to this is the use of accreditation/reputation systems,
Well at least they should have their own banks white-listed, especially
because fraudsters have been known to use look-a-like domain names to
fool people. And some organizations use could use either short
abbreviation and/or long form .. If you really want to use a message for
something then you need to know who you trust and for what purposes.

well OK, but that's a much stronger dependency on such systems than I
thought we had.  If, on the other hand, someone gets this message and
sees that it was (allegedly) sent by their bank but signed by some
unknown third party, it raises legitimate suspicions.
Unless that third parties domain name is designed to be confusingly
similar. That has been known to work on people. But yes signatures by
themselves mean very little, its just means a bag of bits passed through
a system. The end-user needs to be vigilant that the email that seems to
be from his bank is really signed by example.com and not
attackerdomain.com nor example-bank.com . In the real world the phishers
are likely to look like sheep and use confusing domain names, not
beware-warning-phisher-attack-scam.com . So having some automation
machinery to help the e-mail readers could be real helpful.

By the way, do we have consensus on what the semantics of the signature are?
A Bag O' Bits passed through a system. Those bags O'bits might have been
generated by third-parties like foo_guy(_at_)hotmail, or
I_am_a_great_guy(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com, or lkml-reader(_at_)example(_dot_)com so
you shouldn't
trust them to represent the official policies of the domain holders. You
also should not take them to be authorized agents of the domain holders.
For banks that means they should give *prominent* *notice* that their
signing message doesn't confer any apparent or ostensible agent status
to any individuals sending email through their system. AKA without
mechanism to express the additional semantics, then digital signatures
by the banks is likely DOA.

If you want to add more semantics to what a signature means you should
also use rdf and/or accreditation/reputation system(s). Otherwise you
don't know whether it's is from a random yokel that signs up at yahoo,
or a well-crafted fraud message, or some pissed-off bank janitor.

--
http://dmoz.org/profiles/pollei.html
http://sourceforge.net/users/stephen_pollei/