Re: MASS Security Review document

2005-02-06 09:09:11

John,

You have a valid point, and I tend to lean in this direction as well.  The
problem of ISP user's getting infected in the first place is a different
problem all together.

Regardless of MASS,  there is a level of new responsibility and new
liability for the ISP to have a "Clean Up" process before it attempts to
stamp or verifies a message OK for further distribution or reception.

As of last year,  Canada had a bill pending that will require all commercial
ISPs to install an AVS system.  Not having one made could make this liable.

For the US,  it is not improbable for a mal-practice litigation to occur for
a major ISP who MASS stamps a "problematic" MUA message.

So MASS or no MASS, a clean up process has to be done.

For this reason, I believe the Security Review "infrastructure" change
analysis were not fully realized when considering MASS to be a process to
legitimize a transaction.  To do so, every entity in the loop has to be part
of the process.

Of course, we can keep it as a endpoint to endpoint only concept, and let
the middle ware do its job regardless of content provider.

In any case, on a related note,  MASS needs to seriously address the broken
message issue.   The idea that a stamped message can be easily be broken
lowers its effectiveness.  The last thing we want is a MSA or MDA accepting
a broken message even if its moved into a spam folder. If a MSA stamps a
message, it must maintain its integrity unless it was intentionally broken
and/or there is a broken software somewhere in the loop that needs to be
replaced.   We don't want the user getting use to the idea of accepting mail
from a source that is always broken. "Oh, that's how it is with mail from
these people."

http://www.santronics.com