MASS charter

2005-05-31 16:50:56

Hi, folks.  Russ asked a few months ago if people here wanted a second
BOF.  We got a lot of technical discussion, but no BOF or charter.

We aren't making progress to forming a working group within the IETF.
We aren't going to make that progress until there is effort expended
developing a charter for the work and building consensus around that
charter.

I understand not everyone wants this work to move forward in the IETF.
That's fine too, but it would be better to decide not to move forward
in the IETF rather than letting apathy rule the day.

Since I have subscribed to this list there has been a lot of technical
discussion.  AT some level that's great.  However if the working group
is ever formed almost all of that will need to be rehashed.  I think
we've reached the point of diminishing returns for the current
discussion.

With my area director hat off, I strongly recommend that those who
want to see this proceed in the IETF work on a charter and then work
on building consensus around that charter.  Alternatively if you
believe a second BOF is needed work on getting that proposal together.

--Sam