Re: MASS charter

2005-05-31 17:24:02

Sam,

 We aren't making progress to forming a working group within the IETF.

Well, actually we ARE... sort of, though no it is not visible on this list or
even within the ietf venue.

 We aren't going to make that progress until there is effort expended
 developing a charter for the work and building consensus around that
 charter.

I believe the charter is not the problem.  I think we have a draft sitting
around that is in good enough shape to permit productively beating it into
submission.

However, the feeling some months ago was the the presence of competing
specifications -- domain keys and identified internet mailer, was an absolute
show-stopper, since it would be a sure source of distraction for any working
group effort. Hence the feeling was -- very correctly, I believe -- that that
needed to be resolved before a working group could be pursued.

There was also a concern over the IPR issues, though I am less clear how that
could be improved before chartering.

In the intervening time there has been an enormous amount of work and progress
at integrating the two proposals. The best way to characterize that effort, in
IETF terms, is a pre-chartering design team.  Happily that effort is nearing
completion.  It's not quite ready for the next stage of effort, namely public
review and modification, but it's darn close. (IMNSHO).

 I understand not everyone wants this work to move forward in the IETF.

My own guess is that they will not be a serious problem.

The group working on the integration is very broad-based, and my personal guess
is that it will represent more than enough of a constituency to gain approval.
But, then, I'm always the optimist...

I believe you were in the loop for a preliminary review -- of DomainKeys, as I
recall, but the overlap between dkeys and IIM is massive, so that the review
comments apply to the integrated effort -- that Russ Housely commissioned.

The review feedback was *extremely* helpful and the offline design team has
spent time integrating it into the effort.

 With my area director hat off, I strongly recommend that those who
 want to see this proceed in the IETF work on a charter and then work
 on building consensus around that charter.  Alternatively if you
 believe a second BOF is needed work on getting that proposal together.

I'll forward your note to the offline group, who might have some folks on this
list, to see whether they think it is bof and/or chartering time.

  d/
  ---
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking