Re: DomainKeys trademark issue (was: Yahoo!'s DomainKeys and Cisco's IIM have merged)

2005-06-05 20:17:37

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 domainkeys-feedbackbase02(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com wrote:

That's hilarious. Reams of legal advice and FUD followed by the fine-print.

First of all its hilarious that you let the situation gone this far
and then still continue to claim in public that domainkeys is yahoo's trademark.

And please read my post again - there was no "advice" there until after IANAL (I only discussed what could happen, but that was just open list discussion of the issues involved).

And BTW - I gave good advise and appropriate warning that others including
lawyers would give as well if you tell them about what happened and its
not exactly as its something new that has never happened before. And I'm sorry if you did not listen to me the first time and did not take this issue seriously.

It's not the big, bad companies that I would worry about - they are under lots of scrutiny. As for the individuals with unscruitinized private agendas - that's another matter entirely.

I'm a lot more worried about private agendas of big companies. I really
do not see anything indicating that companies being under scrutiny would
somehow change their own agenda, especially if its kept private. And from what I have seen the bigger the company the more likely it is to ignore wishes of the public or advise of technical people and try to slam the ill-advises solutions on us and this has hurt standards several times before... At least for small companies and individuals there is no easy way to force others to comply with what they propose and it goes through
appropriate review without external pressure.

As for me, I think everyone knows that I'm interested in not seeing
something become an internet standard if there are restrictions on how
it can be used such as with trademarks or patents with licenses that restrict use by certain segment of the software industry or if there
are restrictions on any email users. If you want to call it a
"private agenda" please go ahead, I don't mind.

P.S. I'm tired of this issue, its not technical and its not a WG or last call scenario. I continue to hope that my advise be taken more seriously and not ignored as I've pretty good track record of being right and predict
problems several months or years in advance and I'm not interested in
continuing to repeat "I told you so" because too many people don't seem
to like to hear the truth. In any case its my last post on this thread.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks