Re: ] Replay attacks and ISP business models

2005-08-05 03:24:22

On Aug 5, 2005, at 9:35 AM, Andrew Newton wrote:

On Aug 3, 2005, at 6:38 PM, Tony Finch wrote:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the idea of "soft" defences against replay attacks. For example, a suitable reputation or revocation service could include a rate-limiting system, so that as well as pass and fail they could return an intermediate result that would translate into an SMTP 450 response. This could be used to slow down a bulk mailing until it
becomes clear whether it's good or bad.

Zombies spreading the load around to different points of injection could get around these "soft" defenses. And given the lack of clarity in being able to describe the problem we are trying to get DKIM to solve (as witnessed in the BoF), I find relying on less well-defined mechanisms to shore up some of the issues with DKIM to be unpalatable and giving of an incomplete story to observers.

DKIM needs to have a good story regarding defense of replay. However, I'm now less convinced of Doug's revocation ID idea. It almost seems that replay can be detected just by monitoring the number of queries against a user key. This would be especially true if the other key retrieval methods are used for user keying.

The use of the DNS query would provide some warning especially with respect to the revocation-identifier. There would be much less to differentiate abuse with a common key on a large domain. I assume you are suggesting that per-user keys would be a solution for large domains, which seems to be a reason you now indicate DKIM specifically protects the mailbox address. While this could be attempted, it would not be always true. When this is true or not true would not be apparent. I would say it is safer to declare that DKIM provides an accountable domain. Yes, key servers would better support per-user keys. Will DKIM get per-user keys off the ground. Is that the goal of DKIM?

I would also say that for DKIM to have a benefit, finding an accountable domain is not enough. This domain must be able to take positive action to stop abuse. This was the idea behind the revocation-identifier.

-Doug