Re: Sieve Readability Suggestions

1997-04-26 08:53:06
David L Miller <dlm(_at_)cac(_dot_)washington(_dot_)edu> writes:
On Fri, 25 Apr 1997, Tim Showalter wrote:
On Fri, 25 Apr 1997, Chris Newman wrote:

(1) Comments

I suggest using "--" instead of "#" as the comment introducer.  "--" is
what Applescript uses, and is more likely to make sense to the average
human (rather than a programmer) IMHO.

Only to those familier with applescript.

I can see this, but I'd like a second opinion.  It seems a little strange
to me.

Both are used in other languages, so there is a precedent for either
one.  I can see the argument for matching AppleScript, since there are
some otherwise novice potential users already familiar with it.  Do
any other languages targeted to novices use "#"?

I'm not sure worrying about the familiarity of '#' to novices is a big
deal.  It's short and to the point and it's in wide use on at least one
platform (:-).  For users that are 'pathologically-novice' a GUI interface
is more in order anyway.
--
thx,
kjj