Re: some input on sieve-00

1997-04-28 17:02:30

On Sun, 27 Apr 1997 20:59:36 -0700 (PDT) Ned Freed
<Ned(_dot_)Freed(_at_)innosoft(_dot_)com> wrote:

6. Errors in Processing a Script

The stipulation that implementations SHOULD NOT try to recover from a
script with errors is a problem for me.  Aborting within an 'if' clause
makes sense to me, but to totally stop filtering if any error is encountered
is the wrong thing to do.  I would venture a guess that most users would
consider this a very bad characteristic of the mechanism.

The problem with tring to recover is that you cannot be sure of what the user
meant and you may end up doing the wrong thing. And in this case the wrong
thing may mean losing mail.

However, as a purely practical matter I think this is largely a moot point,
since I expect most implementations to perform syntax checking at the point
where rules are added. I know my implementation will do this.

Exactly.   Remember that in the worst case scenario, mail gets delivered
to the user's inbox.

Cheers.
---
Steve Hole                      VP,  Research and Development
The Esys Corporation            EMail: steve(_at_)esys(_dot_)ca
900 10040 - 104 St.             Phone: 403-424-4922
Edmonton, AB, Canada            Fax:   403-424-4925
T5J 0Z6