Re: acap, comparators, and semicolons

1997-12-06 02:46:14
On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, Chris Newman wrote:

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Tim Showalter wrote:
Any suggestions?

How about just adding a comparator command, which effects all later
searches:

Comparator "fr-ca;iso;strength=3";

This cleans up the grammar and probably does what the user wants.

This isn't too bad, but...

if header "from" contains "tjs" {
        Comparator "i;octet"
} else {
        Comparator "i;ascii-casemap"
}
# foo

By point foo, it's impossible to tell what the comparator is, and I'm not
sure I like this.

I still believe that optional arguments need some coverage in the draft or
they'll be implemented in incompatible ways when someone finally finds
something they can't hack around.

It's a shame nobody asked for a Sieve BOF, but I suppose a 5 minute plug
for Sieve at the Spam BOF will be good enough.

I'm hoping some interested people can get together some night, but I don't
know which night.

P.S. I think we should stop using "-" in tokens in Sieve.  An extension
which provided basic math operations would be useful, so "-" should be
reserved for subtraction and negation.

Ok, that's true.  I'd still like to introduce optional arguments in some
standard way.  Luckily your argument will discourage anyone suggesting '/'
as well.

--
                                           Tim Showalter
tjs(_at_)andrew(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu