RE: Service provider acceptance of user configured rules

1998-01-15 14:35:13
Actually, I think you are right. For what it's worth, I do run
procmail through an ISP (i.e., on their system, not on my own), but I
consider that to be the exception rather than the rule. On a certain
level, I see procmail (or other filtering agents) and CGI as being
very similar. In each case, a program is executed on a server in
response to a message (SMTP for procmail and HTTP for CGI). Now, as it
happens most "classic" ISPs will either disallow CGI altogether or
provide a limited set of "canned" programs (counters, form processors,
etc.) but relatively few will allow users to write their own CGI
programs. Now, my ISP does allow users to wrte their own CGI but
places a quota on CPU resources. I can imagine a similar strategy for
MFAs (message filtering agents) such as procmail, but I'm not
necessarily recommending or not recommending it. Anyway, perhaps
provider policy per se is off topic here (but provider acceptance may
well be an appropriate topic, especially in the exploratory phase).

Anyway, before I get too tangled up in my own ramblings, perhaps I
should step back and say that my only intention was to say that I
recognize that there are very real and significant issues with having
MTAs  (or MDAs) invoke user supplied code. That being said, I am not
so sure I would go so far as to say an MTA (or MDA) should never do
so. What I *do* think is that it is important to identify the issues
involved and think through the issues. But again, I recognize that
these are really implementation issues. I do not see the HTTP working
group spending a lot of time worrying about the dangers of poorly
written CGI (or NSAPI or ISAPI) programs. Now, maybe the situations
aren't really analogous. One of my biggest interests right now when it
comes to messaging (HTTP or SMTP) is gateways, and we all know the
adage about hammers and nails...

Gregory Woodhouse gregory(_dot_)woodhouse(_at_)med(_dot_)va(_dot_)gov
May the dromedary be with you.