Re: Sieve extensions

1998-01-18 19:27:09
Tim Showalter wrote:

I think a yes/no is enough, provided the interpreter can give a text
response explaining why.  Trying to get a list of all the ways an
interpreter can fail is futile.

I don't think a yes/no with textual explaination will do.
I suggest we use yes/no together with a formally defined error
code/word. And why not line and column pointers as well.
The reason is to give the user agent a fair chance to guide the user
when trying to correct the error. Also, we can not assume the text
resonse is understood by the user, and I dont think we want to force UAs
to do language translations of free text messages. It has to be some
formality in that regard.

My only worry is how and when you communicate these back to the user.

This has to be solved, and I'm not sure ACAP is part of that solution.

I think the transporting agent *should* validate the code, but there's no
way to enforce that.

I think *NOT*. I think the transport should be done transparently. A
responsibility for validation should *ONLY* exist at both ends of a
filter exchange. Instead of doing intermediate validations, the
transport should provide a two way link between user agent and filter
agent. This is exactly what we should try to find a solution for.
Exchanging MIME messages over the mail transport infrastructure is one
such suggestion.

Tomas