Re: Language for conflicting actions

1999-02-02 16:22:30
On 1/28/99 at 6:00 PM -0500, Tim Showalter wrote:

This isn't very good.  The best that you can do is do whatever happens
first, and I don't consider that to be desirable.

I don't see a particular problem with that sort of logic flow. It could be done other ways, but what's the problem with "do the first one"? It certainly has an implementation simplicity advantage.

I don't buy that at all.  I cannot imagine how a list of actions (which
will typically be one per message and seldom more than five per message)
could cause massive scaling problems even on the largest of central
servers.

Statements like the above send up a red flag for me; anyone's inability to imagine a particular scaling problem doesn't strengthen my confidence. I see the possibility of a large system with a huge number of active users coming back up on the net after some period of downtime, the subsequent flood of mail, and then the subsequent flood of filtering.

If we can get all of the needed functionality without requiring an implementation to store arbitrary length data to do it, I think we should go for the simpler method.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
Eudora Engineering - QUALCOMM Incorporated