Regex matching complete headers.

2001-01-03 06:31:20
2 points and some suggestions about the Sieve Home page

In the regex draft we have in the example:

            # or the subject is all uppercase (no lowercase)
            header :regex :comparator "i;octet" "subject"
              "^[^:lower:]*$" ) {

What if the Subject is mutliline and one of the lines contains uppercase
letters, while the other contains only lowercase letters?  ie.

Subject: this is the first line that contains only lowercase
  this is a contination of the Subject header but it contains UPPERCASE LETTERS

The regular expression "^[^:lower:]*$" is going to match the first line, and
therefore give us a match, but this isn't what we intended.

I have a customer who quite sensibly would like to filter all messages that
have either no from header, or an empty from header.  Our exists test will pass
if the header exists but is empty, so we need a regex test too that tests to
say if the header is completely empty.  Initial thoughts would be something
along the lines of "^[[:space:]]*$ but then this will match the following from
header:

From:
 Address1(_at_)bar(_dot_)com
 Address2(_at_)foo(_dot_)com

as the very first line contains nothing but spaces.

Can we currently do this with Sieve at present?  If not perhaps we need to be
able to use :regex with :is or :contains?  I see it says in the Sieve draft
that we can't give more than one match type, but then perhaps this is a
suitable occasion?

Could we also allow:
  a.. \w in place of [:word:]
  b.. \s in place of [:space:]
  c.. \d in place of [:digit:]
  d.. \l in place of [:lower:]
  e.. \u in place of [:upper:]
I find them really quite useful.  Or are we trying to stick to POSIX rigidly.
(Still haven't got a copy of this.  Bloomin have to bloomin pay for it. Grrr)

Finally, whoever is responsible for http://www.cyrusoft.com/sieve/ could they
please update the broken link that points to
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-melnikov-sieve-imapflags-03.txt
instead of
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-melnikov-sieve-imapflags-04.txt

Additionally should there not be a link to the regex work at
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-murchison-sieve-regex-02.txt it
seems relevant in the Internet Drafts section

That's all for now.

Cheers

Nigel