Re: variables draft (draft-homme-sieve-variables-00.txt)

2003-04-08 09:29:17

[Tony Hansen]:

  Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
  >     setdate "US-Eastern";
  >     if not string "${timezone}" "US-Eastern" {
  >         setdate "-0500";
  >     }

  Isn't "X/Y", as in "US/Eastern", the accepted format for compound
  timezone names?

yes, that is the name used in Unix.  however, in the iCalendar
standard (2445) examples they use a dash.  reading more closely, they
do say

|      Note: This document does not define a naming convention for
|      time zone identifiers. Implementers may want to use the naming
|      conventions defined in existing time zone specifications such
|      as the public-domain Olson database [TZ]. The specification of
|      globally unique time zone identifiers is not addressed by this
|      document and is left for future study.

so going with the slash is probably better.  thanks.

  Question:

  Should the date variables ALWAYS be preset without executing the
  setdate command?

no.  you may consider the setdate action a different kind of
"require".  the intent is that other actions can be added later to set
variables, without breaking compatibility since the user has to call
the action(s) explicitly.  (if setdate was an extension, we would have
no way of specifying timezone, so there is good reason to make it an
action.)

  Other languages have benefitted from namespaces. It might be
  worthwhile exploring that concept, particularly if there are
  preset variables. For example, instead of the preset variable name
  ${year}, you'd instead have ${time.year}. Thoughts?

how should the namespace namespace be governed?  a registry?  only
available to extensions specified in RFCs?

--
Kjetil T.                       |  read and make up your own mind