regex <-> variables interaction (was: Re: variables draft (draft-homme-sieve-variables-00.txt))

2003-04-10 12:47:53
On Tuesday 08 April 2003 19:27, ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:
<snip>
header :regex "Foo" "((a|b))*"?

That IMO is an issue for the regex draft. As for how it should be
handled there,
<snip>

On a related note, I think the regex extension should include
non-capturing parentheses: "make (?:money|dollars)"

Esp. in the light of the variables extension, which makes formerly
non-capturing () capturing now. As everyone here will know, capturing
in regexes imposes a non-negligible performance penalty on regex use,
which is a critical component even without capturing.

Of course, this may mean that we can't use the posix regex spec as
reference anymore. How about the ecmascript one? With libpcre being
available under a very liberal license, I don't see a bigger
implementation burden than with posix regexes...

Marc

--
"You're hackers, aren't you," the barman said, eyeing us. No one said
a thing. The darkness of the Eurotunnel rolled by. Apparently we'd