Re: Comments on draft-homme-sieve-variables-01.txt

2003-04-19 18:25:40

[Ned Freed]:

  > all right, the original idea for adding SETDATE was to use it with
  > FILEINTO so that you could make archives "dynamically".  also, Sieve
  > is typically used by the delivery agent.  the case where a Sieve
  > client uses IMAP or similar to access the message store after delivery
  > has taken place, is an edge case.  furthermore, the spec says

  In this case using the Date: field would be an exceedingly bad
  idea. You don't want to let people add stuff to old archives
  simply by setting the Date: field to a value in the past.

absolutely, using Date is worse than useless.  I've seen quite a few
mail archives which do that on the web, though...

  IMO the ideal value to use here is "date of insertion into the
  archive". The current date is a reasonable thing to use for
  that. The Date: field is not.

I (as a user) think the ideal value is "date of original delivery".
unfortunately, there is currently no standard way of obtaining that
value, you'll have to dig around in Received and apply some sanity
checking.

  I think it should refer to the time the filtering action was
  taken, regardless of whether that was in the context of delivery
  or later filtering.

noted.

--
Kjetil T.