Re: Editorial editheader comment

2003-05-05 11:14:42

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 10:12:18PM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
3028 terminology.  3028 sometimes
uses the word "header" as referring to (in RFC 2822 terminology)
header fields.  E.g., from "2.4.2.2 Headers":

   A header name never contains a colon.  The "From" header refers to a
   line beginning "From:" (or "From   :", etc.).  No header will match
   the string "From:" due to the trailing colon.

Given this, it was unclear (to me) which definition was used.  But if
it is clear for everyone else, ignore my message.

I think you have a point; there's a clash of vocabularies going
on, and a sentence of clarification wouldn't be too much to ask.

+  The term "header field" is used here as in [RFC-2822] to mean
+  a logical line of an email message header.

Privately, I will almost always use "header" to mean a line of an
email message header, just like RFC 3028 does.  I did that unthinkingly
and consistently in the very first internal version of the draft, but
was then asked by one of my internal reviewers to use the more accurate,
but to me unfamiliar, "header field" language from RFC 2822.

It is a source of quiet satisfaction to me that this has now created
misunderstandings in the _other_ direction.

Jutta