Re: Draft for script 'include' capability

2003-05-09 05:13:18

[Marc Mutz]:

  I think that the draft should forbid recursion in the description
  of the include action, where it talks about policy limits on
  nesting depth. I don't see the point in having it the Security
  Considerations section.  I'd also make it explicit that a script
  MUST NOT include itself:

spoilsport!  how am I going to do Towers of Hanoi in Sieve now?

oh well, I guess I must support your suggestion...

  [nifty code snipped]

I'm glad to see :length being put to good use :-)

another issue is case-sensitivity for filenames.  this is glossed
over in fileinto as well, but I think it should be stated explicitly.
something like:

    The filename is case sensitive.  An implementation MAY refuse to
    allow two files whose names only differ in case.

actually, this should go into the Managesieve draft as well.

I'd prefer to leave that up to the implementation since it touches
on OS or even filesystem/database dependence.

that's my point.  if we don't say anything, the script generator must
assume the lowest common denominator, which is case-sensitive (Unix)
and upper-case (DOS and others).  perhaps even more restrictions must
be put in place (allowable characters, length).  passing the work of
finding this lowest common denominator on the script writer is wrong,
I think the draft needs to put in some ground rules for what
implementations _must_ support.

--
Kjetil T.