Re: Draft for script 'include' capability

2003-05-08 05:43:03
Hi!

I think that the draft should forbid recursion in the description of the
include action, where it talks about policy limits on nesting depth. I
don't see the point in having it the Security Considerations section.
I'd also make it explicit that a script MUST NOT include itself:

    SIEVE implementations MUST ensure that recursive includes are not
-   possible. i.e. if script "A" includes script "B", and script "B"
-   includes script "A" an error MUST be generated either when the
+   possible. e.g. if script "A" includes script "B", and script "B"
+   includes script "A" or a script includes itself an error MUST be
+   generated either when the
    script is uploaded to the SIEVE repository, or when the script is
    executed.  If such an error is detected whilst processing a SIEVE
    script, an implicit "keep" action MUST be executed to prevent loss
    of any messages.

Just for fun, here's a fact() "function" implemented with "variables"
and "include" (with only include-self allowed) :-)

--usage--
if header :matches "X-SPAM-LEVEL" "*" {
  set "arg" "${1}";
}
include "fact";
addheader "X-SPAM-FACULTY-OF-LEVEL" "${fact}";
--end usage--

--script fact--
require [ "variables", "include" ];

# returns in ${fact} the faculty of ${arg} (expressed as the length of
# the string: "#####" = 5, "foo" = 3, etc. ${fact} is a "real" integer

if anyof( string "${arg}" "", string :matches "${arg}" "?" ) {
  set "arg" "#";  # 0! = 1! = 1
  set "fact" "1";
  return;
} else {
  # return arg * fact( arg - 1 )
  set "arg1" "${arg}";
  # --arg
  if string :matches "?*" "${arg}"; {
    set "arg" ${2};
  }
  # arg = fact( arg )
  include "fact";
  # result = arg1 * arg
  set "arg2" "${arg}";
  include "multiply";
  set "arg" "${result}";
  set :length "fact" "${arg};
  return;
}
--end script fact--

--script multiply--
require [ "variables", "include" ];

# returns a string in ${result} that contains ${arg1} * ${arg2} times
# the hash # character:

if string "${arg1}" "" {
  set "result" "";
} elsif string :matches "${arg1}" "?" ) {
  set "result" "${arg2}";
} else {
  # --arg1:
  if string :matches "?*" "${arg1}" {
    set "arg1" "${2}";
  }
  include "multiply";
  # arg1 * arg2 == ( arg1 - 1 ) * arg2 + arg2
  set "result" "${result}${arg2}"
}
--end script multiply--