Re: variables and side-effects of tests

2003-05-10 21:03:19

[Ned Freed]:

  [Marc Mutz]:
  > So the variables extension, as it stands, violates this MUST,
  > since the numerical variables are set as a side-effect of a test
  > with :matches match type. :-(
  >
  > What now?

  We have to reach consensus to revise the specification and remove
  the MUST.

I don't object to a revision of RFC 3028, but an alternative may be to
replace the numerical variables with

  SETMATCH <variables: string-list>

the :matches will change the internal state, and this is still
observable by a user, so it may not be good enough to satisfy language
lawyers.

Well, previously there was no internal state that wasn't implicit in the
problem structure. Now there is, and the test changed it. I can live with
it, but others may feel differently...

Example:
  if address :all :matches "To" "*+*(_at_)*(_dot_)ifi(_dot_)uio(_dot_)no" {
     setmatch [ "user", "", "host" ];
  }

I actually sort of like this, but it isn't clear to me it really solves the
problem.