Question on separators in localpart

2004-06-21 06:35:36
Hi,

some time ago a discussion took place on this list about 'detail
separators'. I can't recall the details of the discussion. But on the
subject of 'detail separators' I have a question.

For a new to-be-created e-mail address naming convention, user addresses
will get the notation First(_dot_)Last(_at_)domain(_dot_)com(_dot_) AFAIK this
is in general
use at many organizations worldwide.

For functional mailboxes there are multiple choices. My question is: is
it better to use (e.g.):

HelpDesk(_dot_)London(_at_)domain(_dot_)com (dot in localpart)

HelpDesk-London(_at_)domain(_dot_)com (hyphen in localpart)

HelpDesk_London(_at_)domain(_dot_)com (underscore in localpart)

I believe the 'underscore' will possibly cause other problems (e.g. when
gatewayed into the X.400 world), so the question is mainly whether the
use of either format 1 (dot) or format 2 (hyphen) will cause any
possible problems for SIEVE scripts?

Regards,

/rolf