Re: General thoughts on variables

2004-10-27 02:13:11

Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho(_at_)ifi(_dot_)uio(_dot_)no> writes:

none of the competing e-mail filtering languages I know (procmail, MH,
Exim-filter) are significantly more expressive than Sieve.  I think that
indicates there is no great demand for it.

No, it indicate that you have no great demand for it.  I have several
times been forced to chose otherwise less reliable technologies
(procmail, Perl filters, etc) because Sieve is too limited for my
needs.

There is a need for a standardized Turing complete mail filtering
language.  Sieve is pretty close.  I believe it would be better to
extend Sieve to be Turing complete (in an optional way), than to
develop a competing solution.  The latter will eventually happen if
Sieve is not extended.

Thanks.