Re: General thoughts on variables

2004-10-29 10:41:54

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 09:24:13AM +0200, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 18:37 -0400, Mark E. Mallett wrote:

You can consult an array of such structures and apply processing
generally.  You can even load the array from a file that's separate from
your script.  Or you can do all that stuff inline, one at a time.

exactly.  what's the difference between successive tests on List-Id and
storing the values in a lookup array?  the representation is different,
but the information is the same.  this is static, you (or your e-mail
client) could even generate the Sieve script from a different style
configuration.

There are some differences; one approach provides expression through
data structures, another through one-at-a-time code steps.  In this
particular case, you can pretty easily enhance the way the data is
applied, or add elements to the data that affect the way the data is
applied, without having to diddle with code.  As you say, it's also
possible to have a utility that generates sieve code from data
structures-- that's a workaround for not being able to express something
directly in sieve, and illustrates the desire for that ability (not
necessarily a desire for it to be in Sieve, though).

There are other potential differences: suppose the language provides
content-addressable arrays or accessed to indexed structures.  One
lookup, one result, rather than chunking through lots of steps one
test at a time.

One drawback of using examples is that you get into tangents about
the specific examples used, instead of the underlying philosophy.
As I mentioned at one point, I don't think it's even possible to
imagine the potential uses that come about when you provide script
writers with powerful building blocks.

Note that I am not saying that all these powerful blocks should go into
Sieve.  I do think there is plenty of room for some of them.  But that's
another tangent..

this thread is the closest we've been a discussion of 3028bis.  why
don't you post what changes you think we need to the basic grammar to
allow such a future of Sieve?

Actually I thought that's what the new working group would get into.
I'd be happy to participate in those kinds of talks, even in a more
down-to-earth, sane, and sensible way :-)

-mm-