Re: base-spec issue #1: character escapes

2005-03-08 10:28:34

Hi Rob,

--On March 8, 2005 12:02:27 PM -0500 Rob Siemborski <rjs3(_at_)andrew(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu> wrote:

While (3) is a cleaner design, introducing a dependency on variable
create the possibility that some implmentation that doesn't want
to implement variables but needs access to NUL, etc will do (1) or
(2) instead, thus defeating the goal of interoperability.  If that
is a plausible risk, then (2) or (1) should be picked from the
start.

I therefore would prefer (2).

Same here.

With (2), do we even need to make the statement that an extension will override the base spec behaviour? After all, that is what extensions implicitly do. i.e. why can't we leave it exactly as it is now in the base spec, and an extension written independently of that.

--
Cyrus Daboo