Re: base-spec issue #1: character escapes

2005-03-08 14:26:29

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 15:34 -0500, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
If you're saying that an extension can change the way these escapes are
interpreted, then you are saying that "require" can change the lexical
input process (at least for implementations that process the quoted
strings in this way).  I don't think that's a good thing.  The way
extensions are specified allows "require" to be processed as a
runtime directive (unless I'm all wet on that).

depends on what you mean by "runtime directive".

   The require command, if present, MUST be used before anything other
   than a require can be used.  An error occurs if a require appears
   after a command other than require.

speaking of which, I think it would be a good idea to rule out that
require can affect other require statements in the base specification.
this is stated explicitly in the variables draft, but the same thing
will be a potential ambiguity with character escapes, e.g.,

  require "quotes";
  require "r\x65gex";

--
Kjetil T.