Re: 3028bis open issue #3: require 2047 decoding?

2005-06-30 13:21:26

Michael Haardt wrote:
Shouldn't the implementation be free what to convert them to? It may
chose a different unicode representation.  Do we need to enforce UTF-8?

I realize the language in 3028 clearly implies implementations are required to convert to UTF-8 but if an implementation wants to use UCS-4 or UCS-2 or UTF-7 internally, that must be allowed. The specification has no power to specify behavior that can't be externally observed, and the text you cited is just wrong.

Perhaps the text should have been simply "MIME parts SHOULD be canonicalized to Unicode prior to the match". I'm sure there's a way to phrase it in a way that's completely encoding-neutral, though.

Tim